Saturday, May 28, 2005

Stem Cell Research - Embryonic and Otherwise

I hope that we find a way to get the (hoped for) good effects without the aspects that trouble some people of good conscience.

I think your stand on this depends on your beliefs about where life begins and how lives should be valued.

What I am not convinced of is that any of these beliefs has been proven correct - which means the argument is ultimately based on beliefs rather than on facts.

Such facts as there are get used selectively - and a lot of misstatements and conjecture get presented as fact on both sides.

I don't see a way to resolve this argument objectively.

That said, I also don't see why people who object to this research should be compelled to pay for it.

And, I am troubled by so many people's willingness to deeply offend and harshly attack others on the basis of speculation.

Many of the arguments in favor of embryonic stem cell research would seem equally applicable to human vivesection, and I don't see anyone seriously arguing for that. Yet.

2 Comments:

Blogger Amy said...

Absolutely, I agree 100%. People should defnitely be able to opt out of paying for stem cell research.

However, we need a strong system to insure that those who opt out are ineligible to receive the benefits that stem cell research may one day provide. It's a gamble, but if people are in it to save the babies, I'm pretty sure it's one they won't mind taking.

In my humble opinion, it's all about the greater good. If stem cell research has the potential to cure cancer, HIV, Parkinson's, or other diseases, then it is in the greater good for society to pick up the cost of that research through taxes. I'm happy and privileged to contribute my money now if one day me or my loved ones may be saved from breast cancer, or Alzheimer's. For me, it's a no brainer.

I get the ethical complaints people have, although I don't agree with them. I have a feeling those complaints will all but stop once some cures are found and lives are saved.

4:01 PM  
Blogger Parker Smith said...

Amy -

You need to differentiate between embryonic stem cell research and adult stem cell research.

The former has produced nothing that has come close to human clinical trials, along with (as a natural consequence)zero effective therapies.

If you want to get the benefits you discuss - put your money on adult stem cell therapies.

9:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home