Thursday, October 07, 2004

Points of Disgruntlement

A point to remember - anything the federal government funds, it does so with money collected from the citizenry. I'm tired of reading things that can be taken to mean that our government is a magic money machine, and you just have to open the spout.

Another point - 'separation of church and state' is an extra-constitutional phrase. The two mentions of religion in the basic document say that (1) you can't impose a religious test for holding office and (2) congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion.

I've always taken the establishment clause to mean the feds can't set up a state church.

Hearing people squawk the phrase 'separation of church and state' like a mynah bird, with no understanding of the history behind it, makes my teeth itch. Most especially when it is applied as a club against Christianity, as it most often seems to be.

Love God, and love your neighbor as yourself - and please don't throw the misdeeds of self-professed 'Christians' in my face - you shall know them by their deeds, not their words.

I'm trying to have my actions be informed by love - given my current state, a more-than-lifetime job, I fear.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home